Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Living Vicariously Through Others (Cousin Michael to be specific)

Here I sit. 12:00 Midnight on Wednesday. Wife and kids are away for a night. What am I thinking about? Making money. How much friggin money is it gonna cost to give the three kids all I can toward their future? 500 hundred grand. Cash. One million? So I'm out there working... Taking the train to Long Island. Getting on the 5:55 train from Glen Rock. Meeting with anyone who has even the slightest desire/need to buy what I sell. All to maximize this year's 14% commissions. I assume the commissions will change in 2008. They always do.

What else am I thinking about? Baseball. Even my over 40 team, the Ridgewood Giants, , is rife with politics. I thought the parents of 13 year olds were political...

Here we are... 13-3 in the regular season. We have won the last 10 in a row, and we just won our first playoff game. Our manager is a big pain in the ass, but great at what he does... What I mean by that is he GETS RESULTS. We are in this to win, and he is critical. A lot of the guys can't handle criticism by a peer, but I happen to respond well to it. I am motivated by it and always have been. By my calculations, I batted around .400, and am definitely considered a "tough out". I was in the leadoff spot a lot, the two spot, the seven spot, etc... I stole bases. I drove opposing teams absolutely mad. Mainly, I was the starter in left field, but had a lot of playing time at 3rd base. I also played Center field, right field, and even caught. Not bad for a rookie season (turning 40 August 26). Granted, I am a rookie on a great team who has been playing together for many years. But geeze. There is on guy on the team who I think lies about everything from being a "soap opera star" to playing in college, to playing in the minors. During the first 6 games, he was our starting 3rd baseman. He made at least 20 errors, and that is conservative. His hands are as soft as two by fours, if you know what I mean. Literally, 20 balls hit to him, 20 errors... So, he got moved to 1st base. He is saying whatever he can to hold on to his position. In the depth chart there is another first baseman way ahead of him. However the other firstbaseman also plays left field which affects my playing time... Holy Christ, I can't believe I am thinking about this.

Nevermind all this. The Giants will play 9am on Sunday 8/19 against a tough Mets team. Winner of this will play a 2 out 3 final likely against the Blue Jays. I will play on Sunday, but will be in Nag's Head, North Carolina for the final games. I will be hanging on the beach with Leneè, James, Julia, and Jayne. We will celebrating my 40th birthday quietly with tons of beer. Cousin Michael will be racing his 3rd Ironman. He has started a blog, which I have been bugging him to do for a long time. http://www.ironoutlaw.blogspot.com

Over and out. Another early day in NYC later this morning.

2 comments:

lenee said...

hey sweetie, sorry you will miss such important games in your first season in the over 40 league. but hey its not like you will lose money on it or anything! we will have a good time in NC. we are looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

midlife crisis???